Monday, August 20, 2012

Sports

Firstly say that France is a country where sport is part of the life, there are lots of football (soccer) and rugby followers; also the Tour de France is the event of the summer (except of course if there is a Eurocup or summer olympic games...). But they don't only watch sports, many of the people I know here do some exercise, mostly running, swimming and football.


Picture by maté de fournoux

I can say that I am a quite active person, I've practiced as many sports as I could in my life, I like testing them, I find it very amusing and relaxing. Just before moving here I used to do quite a lot of swimming, some gym training, some running and a bit of mountain biking; so you can understand the frustration I felt when I realised there was no swimming pool near my house nor a place to use my bike... At least I could continue running (as much as work and winter weather allowed me). Another thing that was not easy to find was a salle de sport (as gym is a different thing here). There are very few in Lyon and all of them are surprisingly deceiving as many don't have staff to help you, most open only during office hours, some have only recorded collective activities with no coach... In the end I decided to go to a new one that follows the low cost concept, it's reaaally simple but it's as cheap as 19,90€ per month.


Picture by mII

What I haven't explored much but that seems to be quite popular here are the clubs, you can find clubs for every sport and it seems that it's what people prefer rather than gyms; I guess it must be good to find people with the same interests; I should try it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment